Sunday, April 24, 2016

A to Z Challenge - Day 20 - Tirunelveli!!

First of all, it's Tirunelveli! Not 'Thirunelveli' , 'Thirunelvelli' and definitely not 'Tirunalveli' ! I am an avid lover of my hometown that even misspelling its name makes me angry

I will be on my cloud nine whenever I get back to my hometown during vacation. The feeling I get when I see the "Tirunelveli Junction " name board in the Railway station can't be expressed in words. The first thing I do while going home, is to have a big glass of water. I always doubt if water from Thamirabharani river has some unique taste. That's why our own trademark, Iruttu kadai halwa is that sweet! 

The halwa got its name as Iruttu kadai halwa as there's only one bulb hung in the shop. There's only one small shop in the entire city. The crowd goes crazy for this like any other stuff. For the sale starts around 5 pm every evening and huge gallons of alwa gets sold around 6:30 pm during weekdays and 5:45 pm during the weekends. I have always wondered about this.

As our city is near to many waterfalls and at the foothills of Western Ghats, we never felt ripped off by scorching heat during summer. And so these sight seeing places would be flooded with tourists during vacation. Needless to say about the famous Courtallam and five falls. The most crystal clear clean water I have ever seen. 

In addition of paying visit to the relatives place, I used to go to this place every time when I am in my hometown. Ram Muthuram Cinemas. My trip would be incomplete without watching a movie in our beloved Ram theatre. It's better than many high class theatres in metropolitan cities. I feel it to be better than Chennai's very own Sathyam Cinemas. There's always one special bonding between me and this theatre. During a top star's movie release, the areas near that theatre would be in a festive mood. For the fans and the theatre owner would do grand stuffs to turn the place into a carnival!

My joy knows no bound whenever I see a vehicle with TN 72 registration number in Chennai. Even seeing one shop's name board with Tirunelveli or Nellai in it would make my day. My love for this city immeasurable!

If had put up in a situation to choose either heaven or Tirunelveli, my choice would definitely be my Tirunelveli!!

7 comments:

  1. Sorgame endralum athu nammoora pola varuma ... Yaathum ore yaavarum kelir ... Tamilnadu pathiyum pathivugalai veliyidalam ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud MomenT to All #TIRUNELVELIANS..!!��������

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vishnu chellam
    Nee nalla ezhuthara. Thodarundhu ezhuthu
    Congrats chellam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vishnu chellam
    Nee nalla ezhuthara. Thodarundhu ezhuthu
    Congrats chellam

    ReplyDelete